On November 1, 2011 the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) announced an Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking and Request for Public Comments in regard to the Textile Rules. The Rules require that most textile products sold in the United States contain labels disclosing the fiber content of the product, the manufacturer or marketer name, and the country where the product was processed or manufactured. The Textile Rules implement the Textile Fiber Products Identification Act.
The FTC is seeking comments from the public as to whether the Commission should:
• make modifications to the generic names of man-made fibers;
• clarify requirements for products containing elastic material and trimmings;
• address the use of multiple languages for required labeling;
• clarify disclosure requirements for print and online advertising;
• clarify or reconsider the Rules' list of products excluded from the Textile Act;
• add or clarify any terms included in the Rules; and
• modify consumer and business educational materials.
The FTC is also seeking comment on:
• the costs and benefits of the Textile Act's requirement that businesses use identification issued by the FTC;
• the extent to which retailers obtain guarantees for textile products; and
• whether the guarantee provisions of the Textile Rules and Act should be modified.
Note: Comments must be received by the FTC no later than January 3, 2012. For information on how to submit comments, please see link below.
To view FTC notice: http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2011/11/textilerules.shtm
How Can Bureau Veritas Help You?
Keep Up-to-Date with Bureau Veritas Knowledge Products
Bulletins are just one of the many knowledge-based tools offered by the Knowledge Products Portal - the destination for regulatory information for the consumer products industry. Learn more at...www.bureauveritas.com/knowledge
Bureau Veritas Consumer Products Services, Inc. ("BVCPS") provides the information in this client bulletin as a resource of general information. It does not replace any applicable legal or regulatory requirements and is provided "as is." BVCPS will not be liable for any indirect, special, punitive, consequential or other damages (including without limitation lost profits) of any kind in connection with this client bulletin. BVCPS DISCLAIMS ALL REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, IN CONNECTION WITH THIS CLIENT BULLETIN.