Meeting the Requirements For This New EU Legislation
Registration, Evaluation, Authorization & Restriction of Chemicals or REACH is a new regulation (EC1907/2006) that is being implemented by the European Union (EU) to better protect human health and the environment from hazardous chemicals. REACH establishes a registration system for chemical substances that requires the traceability of chemicals and identification of chemical substances within goods (Articles or Preparations). The objective of this registration system is to provide hazard and risk information about a chemical substance at any point during its lifecycle. As such, REACH affects not only chemical manufacturers, but also product manufacturers, distributors, retailers and importers that import, manufacture or place products on the EU market. What does REACH require?
The registration system requires the traceability and identification of chemical substances, chemical substances in preparations and chemical substances in articles. Documentation will be required for submittal to the European Chemical Agency (ECHA). THE CHALLENGE – What you need to determine
• What substances are in your products and their quantity?
• What substances will be released from products and their risk to human health and environment
• Presence of CMR substances (Carcinogenic, Mutagenic or toxic to Reproduction) and substances toxic to aquatic organisms (R50-53)
Many brands, retailers and importers will be asking their suppliers and manufacturers to demonstrate with confidence that a process is in place to ensure REACH compliance. Bureau Veritas can assist you with REACH compliance.
Our full portfolio of REACH services include:
• A Chemical Compliance Register
• Product Line Review for REACH Impact
• “REACH Package” preparation for Pre-Registration
• Article Safety Data Sheet (SDS) compilation & generation
• Factory Chemical Management Systems Audits
• Training Workshops including Onsite Bill of Materials (BOM) & Bill of Substance (BOS)
• REACH related Chemical Testing
• Risk and Toxicological Assessments
• Technical Dossier Assistance
• “Only representative” for Non EU Manufacturers
OUR APPROACH: A COMPREHENSIVE SOLUTION
REACH is a new and complex piece of legislation. Managing information about your products, suppliers and chemicals throughout your supply chain is key. Our REACH solution will assist you in doing just that through our five step process.
Our approach helps make compliance easy:
• Our proprietary Chemical Compliance Register and templates will help put your business on auto pilot for compliance.
• Electronic Bill-of-Materials (BOM) and Bill-of-Substance (BOS) templates make visible the chemical substances that need to be managed in your product, including substances of very high concern (SVHC), intended release and volume thresholds.
• Secure information and system design protects your intellectual property
• Our one-stop service portfolio to support you through the five key steps required for cost effective implementation:
1. Policy Setting for REACH – Define your supply chain requirements.
2. Supply Chain Training – Communicate and train supply chain with your requirements.
3. Chemical Compliance Register– Identify substances in your products with BOM/BOS.
4. Monitoring & Controls – Test, Inspect & Audit to ensure effective implementation.
5. Validation – Know it to be true – identify and rectify the gaps and then prepare for pre-registration and registration obligations.
Why Choose Bureau Veritas?
• Innovative IT Software and Data Management System to facilitate REACH compliance.
• Our Information Resources Center (IRC) will keep you informed on key REACH issues.
• Our global network of offices and laboratories will provide a one-stop-shop solution.
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
Whom Does REACH Impact?
REACH will impact not only the manufacturers of the chemicals themselves, but producers and importers of goods that contain chemical substances within their products. Ultimately, REACH will affect anything from the workers in the chemical plants to the landfills, where these products are disposed.
What chemical substances will be included?
REACH will be limited to chemical substances marketed in the EU in volumes above one ton. It is estimated that this may include as many as 30,000 substances out of more than 100,000 chemicals listed in the European Inventory of Existing Commercial Chemical Substances (EINECS). Manufacturers and importers of chemicals on EINECS will have from 12 to 18 months to pre-register their substances after REACH enters into force.