What is BREEAM?
What is BREEAM
?The Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method (BREEAM) is the world's leading system for assessing the range of environmental impacts associated with buildings. It sets the standard for best practice in sustainable design, and specifies the performance of buildings in a way that is quick, comprehensive, and visible in the market place.
Who is it relevant to?
BREEAM can be applied to any building type worldwide and is used by a large number of businesses and industries, with over 100,000 buildings assessed and approximately half a million buildings registered. It allows those involved in the design, construction, and operation of buildings to prove their environmental credentials, and their commitment to sustainability. Typical organisations utilising BREEAM include:
- Building developers, planning development agencies and funders use BREEAM to specify the environmental performance of their buildings in a way that is fast, reliable, and comprehensive
- Property agents use it to promote a building’s environmental strengths and benefits to potential purchasers and tenants
- Architects and design teams use it to deepen their understanding of sustainability and as a tool for improving the performance of their buildings
- Service Managers use it to monitor and improve the performance of buildings, engage staff, and reduce running costs
- Government Estate has committed to achieving minimum BREEAM ratings for new building and major refurbishment projects
What does it do?
Each assessment addresses nine environmental performance criteria; these are energy, water, transport, materials, waste, management, health and wellbeing, pollution and land use and ecology. Performance levels in each of the nine criteria are assessed and buildings are then classified on a scale ranging from 'Pass' through to 'Outstanding'.
What are its benefits?
BREEAM is a standard that demonstrates measurement and progress towards environmental and sustainability objectives, underpinned by detailed best practice guidance and external certification. The rating system is transparent and easy to understand, and provides clear evidence that best environmental practice is being incorporated into a building.
More generally BREEAM provides market recognition for low environmental impact buildings. It exerts a positive influence on all aspects of building design, construction and operation and is a powerful tool in helping to reduce running costs and improved working conditions in buildings. Buildings with BREEAM certification provide a clear statement to the market that environmental and sustainability initiatives have been incorporated into the design and/or operation of the building.
How can Bureau Veritas help you?
BREEAM requires detailed assessments of sustainable building design and performance, all of which require a range of technical skills and expertise. Bureau Veritas employs a team of licensed BREEAM Assessors, that can support clients in all stages of building development and operation.
Phone:Send an e-mail