Print Bulletin PDF
On January 14, 2016, the European Commission published Commission Regulation (EU) 2016/26 which amended current restriction of Nonylphenol Ethoxylates (NPE) under REACH Annex XVII in Official Journal of the European Union (OJEU) to restrict the use of NPE in textile articles. Textile articles containing NPE equal or greater than 0.01% will be ban from being sold within EU. This new restriction will be applied after February 3, 2021.Overview of Requirement
Nonylphenol Ethoxylates (NPE) may be used in various industries as detergents, emulsifiers and surfactants. NPE are known as toxic for aquatic organisms and will degrade to alkyl phenols over time, which are further classified as carcinogenic.
In the textile industry, NPE are still used in many non-EU manufacturing countries as detergents in washing processes or as coloring aids in the dying process.
NPE have been restricted from use within the EU under the REACH regulation EC 1907/2006 due to these environmental risks. Articles which are imported into the EU can however, up to now, contain any residual amount of NPE. This new regulation will restrict the residual content of NPE in textile articles to 0.01% (100 mg/kg). New Restriction
• Textile articles which can reasonably be expected to be washed in water during their normal lifecycle
• “Textile article” means any unfinished, semi-finished or finished product which is composed of at least 80% textile fibres by weight, or any other product that contains a part which is composed of at least 80% textile fibres by weight
• For example: clothing, accessories, interior textiles, fibres, yarn, fabrics and knitted panels
• Less than 0.01% by weight (100mg/kg) of textile article or of each part of the textile article
• After February 3, 2021Additional Information:
Commission Regulation (EU) 2016/26: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=uriserv:OJ.L_.2016.009.01.0001.01.ENG&toc=OJ:L:2016:009:TOC
Bureau Veritas Solutions and Services
Bureau Veritas offers a wide range of chemical management solutions to help you overcome the challenges of complying with the REACH Regulation. To find out how we can assist you in meeting REACH requirements as related to your business, visit : www.bureauveritas.de/cps, www.bureauveritas.co.uk/cps, www.bureauveritas.fr/cps or email: firstname.lastname@example.org