Through technical workshop: "7 Main Factors of ASC.PAD Standards", Bureau Veritas Certification’s experts have shared useful experiences in current situation, difficulty, remarks when applying ASC standard for Pangasius farms.
Difficulties in ASC standard cost and problem of finished product price
Mr. Nguyen Huy (ASC, BRC/IFS Product Manager - Bureau Veritas Certification) identified the difficulties of farms when applying the current ASC standard. He analyzed that comparing to other food safety standards (Global GAP, BAP), ASC standard including many specific requirements, it brought out the cost is a lot higher. In addition, in current inconvenience economic situation, the seafood enterprises often lack of funds, ASC application is a real challenge!
Moreover, each pangasius enterprises still concerns whether the ASC finished product price ASC have significantly higher enough to offset the costs that they have spent to apply ASC standard. While raw materials in recent years often lower than the threshold cost of production, the aquaculture has caused many losses to enterprises and individual farmers.
In addition, these difficulties make enterprises cut many steps required when applying ASC as training for staff, the involvement of involved multiple departments ... and thus give rise to many difficulties to be able to fully meet the requirements of this standard.
Maximize benefit and minimize cost for applying ASC STANDARD
Through practical inspection at the farm during the last time, the Bureau Veritas Certification Vietnam’s experts have drawn the experience very useful for the enterprise to deliver best performance when applied to target ASC standards for pangasius. Their sharing is summarized as follows:
- For gathered farms (chain of farm):
• The process of applying ASC requires determination and direct supervision of the leadership and participation of all relevant departments. (Usually other food safety standards only parts - technical or quality management is key participants)
• Staff participation ASC standard should be trained carefully to have fully awareness of the standards and help reduce errors in application process.
• Should connect to farming areas of the enterprises or surround farms, working together for the ASC will help share the cost of the application process, such as sharing cost of training and consulting, assessment report in impacting of farming on the environment, the surrounding ecosystem, social impacting ...
- For individual farms:
• Associating individual farmers ASC is one very important step in the application process of ASC standards in order to reduce the cost. In the last ASC workshop organized by Bureau Veritas Certification in Can Tho on 29 January 2013, representatives of Aquaculture Seafood Council (ASC) announced rules and regulations for ASC standard in group, they have discussed and completed the draft and will issue the official documents within 2013. So from now individual farmers should make a connecting group to the application of ASC standards.
• Bureau Veritas Certification is always companion and share difficulty with enterprises with a commitment to hold more seminars to exchange experiences on the practical application of ASC, the training focus for the group culture associated with the lowest cost. Once the ASC issued the certification requirements of ASC in Group, Bureau Veritas Certification is also committed to provide ASC in Group services with the most competitive cost to achieve the goal with 50 % Vietnamese Pangasius will be certified to meet ASC standards by 2015.
Navigate to Quality, Health & Safety, Environment & Social Responsibility (QHSE-SR) through common standards such as ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001, SA 8000 and the specific criteria for each industry, especially for the seafood sector; Bureau Veritas would like to become a trusted partner of enterprises in the process of sustainable development.
Bureau Veritas Vietnam
+84 (0)8 3812 2196Send an e-mail