08h00 - 16h30
08h00 - 16h30
Download PDF of Bulletin
On 7 July 2014 the European Commission adopted Regulation (EU) n° 1253/2014 implementing Directive 2009/125/EC with regard to ecodesign requirements for ventilation units.
It entered into force on 15 December 2014 and shall start applying from 1 January 2016.
Regulation (EU) n° 1253/2014 applies to Ventilation Units (VUs) i.e. electricity driven appliance equipped with at least one impeller, one motor and a casing and intended to replace utilised air by outdoor air in a building or a part of a building. The two main types of VUs on which the ecodesign requirements have been based are:
1. Residential Ventilation Units (RVUs): Ventilation Unit where (a) the maximum flow rate does not exceed 250 m3/h; (b) the maximum flow rate is between 250 and 1 000 m3/h, and the manufacturer declares its intended use as being exclusively for a residential ventilation application
2. Non Residential Ventilation Units (NRVUs): Ventilation Unit where the maximum flow rate of the ventilation unit exceeds 250 m3/h, and, where the maximum flow rate is between 250 and 1 000 m3/h, and the manufacturer has not declared its intended use as being exclusively for a residential ventilation application
There are some exclusions which are listed in article 1 of Regulation (EU) n° 1253/2014.
1. Specific ecodesign requirements (two phases: from 1 January 2016 and from 1 January 2018)
Specific ecodesign requirements have been determined according to the type of VUs.
Examples for RVUs:
• Maximum SEC (Specific energy consumption), maximum sound power level, availability of a multi-speed drive or a variable speed drive, availability of a thermal by-pass facility, availability of a visual filter change warning signal.
Examples for NRVUs:
• Availability of a multi-speed drive or a variable speed drive, availability of a HRS (heat recovery system), availability of a thermal by-pass facility for the HRS, minimum thermal efficiency of HRS, minimum fan efficiency, maximum internal specific fan power of ventilation components.
Methods for the calculation of these parameters are set out in Annexes VIII and IX of Regulation (EU) n° 1253/2014.
2. Information requirements (from 1 January 2016)
The required product information, which are set out in Annex IV for RVUs and in Annex V for NRVUs of Regulation (EU) n° 1253/2014, shall be available:
• in the technical documentation of the product, and
• on free access websites of manufacturers their authorized representatives, and importers.
Note: Regulation (EU) n° 1253/2014 works with Regulation (EU) n° 1254/2014 with regard to energy labeling of Residential Ventilation Units.
For more details, please view the full text of Regulation (EU) n° 1253/2014 (Published in Official Journal of European Union L 337 of 25 November 2014) at:
If you have any comments and/or questions, please contact your customer service representative or email Valentine Menuet at: email@example.com
Consumer Products Services
Send an e-mail